Founder and President
Retinal and Ophthalmic Consultants, P.C.
Attending Physicians at:
- Shore Medical Center
- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
- Retinal and Ophthalmic Consultants, P.C. 1986 - Present. Founder and President of private group practice limited to vitreoretinal diseases and surgery. Participation in clinical trials.
- 1973 - 1979 B.A. Boston University Medical Honors Program, Boston University
- 1975 - 1979 M.D. Boston University Medical Honors Program, Boston University
- 1979 National Eye Institute
Postgraduate Training And Fellowship Appointments:
- 1979 - 1980 Intern in Medicine, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami
- 1980 - 1983 Resident in Ophthalmology University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- 1983 - 1985 Fellowship, Vitreo-retinal Diseases Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles
- 1983 - 1985 Visiting Lecturer Jules Stein Eye Institute University of California
- 1986 - Present Courtesy Scheie Eye Institute University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 1986 - 1996 Associate Attending Ophthalmologist Division of Ophthalmology Atlantic Regional Medical Center
- 1997 - Present Chief, Division of Ophthalmology Atlantic Regional Medical Center
- 1986 - Present Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist Division of Ophthalmology Shore Memorial Hospital
- 1979 - Diplomat of The National Board of Medical Examiners
- 1984 - Diplomat of The American Board of Ophthalmology
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, California
Awards And Honors:
- NJ Top Doc 2017-2019
- Marquis Who’s Who 2017
Professional Societies and Associations:
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Medical Association
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Medical Society of Atlantic County
- Academy of Medicine of New Jersey
- New Jersey Academy of Ophthalmology
- Retina Society of New Jersey
- Past President
Atlantic County Medical Society
- Past President
Lions Club Vision Care Center
Leukemia Lymphoma Regatta, 2015
Leukemia Lymphoma Regatta, 2017
- Passed Business Editor
American Society of Retina Specialists
Principal and/or Sub-Investigator in over 35 National Clinical Studies
Amgen 20170542 – Sub Investigator
Amgen Inc. and Parexel International LLC
February 2020 – Present
A Randomized, Double-masked, Phase 3 Study of ABP938 Efficacy and Safety Compared to Aflibercept (Eylea) in Subjects with Neovascular Age-related Macular Degeneration.
PANDA KHB-1802 – Sub-Investigator
Syneos Health, LLC
October 2019 – Present
A Multicenter, Double-Masked, Randomized, Dose-Ranging Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Conbercept Intravitreal Injection in Subjects with Neovascular Age-related Macular Degeneration.
SAGA ALK001-P3001 – Sub-Investigator
Alkeus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
October 2019 – Present
A Phase 2/3 Multicenter, Randomized, Double – masked, Parallel – group, Placebo- controlled Study to Investigate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Tolerability and Efficacy of ALK-001 in Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Age – related Macular Degeneration.
Yosemite GR40349 – Principal Investigate
F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
July 2018 – Present
Phase III, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Masked, Active-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of R06867461 in Patients with Diabetic Macular Edema
Aerpio AKB-9778-CI-5001 – Sub-Investigator
Aerpio Therapeutics LLC
August 2017 – Present
Phase III Double-Masked, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of Subcutaneously Administered AKB-9778 15MG Once Daily or 15MG Twice Daily for 12 Months in Patients with Moderate to Severe Non-Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy.
Omaspect Extension Study of Spectri GX30191 – Principal Investigator
F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd
March 2017 – Present
A Multicenter, Open-Label Extension Study to Evaluate the Long-Term Safety and Tolerability of Lampalizumab in Patients with Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Age-Related Macular Degeneration Who Have Completed a Roche-Sponsored Study.
TOGA-01 Phase II/III – Principal Investigator
University of Virginia Department of Ophthalmology
February 2017 – Present
A Randomized, Double Masked, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating ORACEA® in Subjects with Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Non-Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
MAKO-OHR-1601 / Chiltern Study Code No. 35544 – Sub-Investigator
OHR Pharmaceutical, Inc.
June 2016 – July, 2017
Phase III Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Squalamine Lactate Ophthalmic Solution, 0.2% Twice Daily in Subjects with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
Capella R2176-3-AMD-1417 – Sub-Investigator
September 2015 – September 2016
A Phase 2, Double-Masked, Randomized, Controlled, Multiple-Dose, Regimen-Ranging Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Intravitreal REGN2176-3 in Patients with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
Spectri GX29185 – Principal Investigator
F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd
August 2014 – Present
A Phase III, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Masked, Sham-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Lampalizumab Administered Intravitreally to Patients with Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
SCORE2 – Sub-Investigator
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services
Study of Comparative Treatments for Retinal Vein Occlusion 2 (SCORE2): A Multicenter, Prospective, Randomized, Phase III Non-Inferiority Trial of Eyes with Macular Edema Secondary to Central Retinal Vein Occlusion, Comparing Intravitreal Bevacizumab Every 4 Weeks Versus Intravitreal aflibercept Every 4 Weeks.
ORBIT TG-MV-018 – Sub-Investigator
A Multicenter, Prospective, Observational Phase 4 Study That Will Assess Clinical Outcomes and Safety of Jetrea Administered in a Real-World Setting for the Treatment of Symptomatic Vitreomacular Adhesion (VMA) by Assessing Anatomical and Functional
Outcomes in 1500 Patients Recruited Across Approximately 120 USA Retina Sites.
Eclipse OPH1002A – Principal Investigator
September 2013 – August 2016
A Phase III Randomized, Double-Masked, Controlled Trial to Establish the Safety and Efficacy of Intravitreou s Administration of Fovista (Anti PDGF-B Pegylated Aptamer) Administered in Combination with Lucentis Compared to Lucentis Monotherapy in Subjects with Subfoveal Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
BAM 114341 – Sub-Investigator
Glaxo Smith Kline
A Phase II Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Masked, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Investigate the Safety, Tolerability, Efficacy, Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of GSK933776 in Adult Patients with Geographic Atrophy (GA) Secondary to Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD).
VGFTe-AMD-1124 – Sub-Investigator
An Open-Label Study of the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Intravitreal Administration of VEGF Trap-Eye (Intravitreal Aflibercept Injection) in Patients with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
PROTOCOL S – Sub-Investigator
Prompt Panretinal Photocoagulation versus Intravitreal Ranibizumab with Deferred Panretinal Photocoagulation for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy
Protocol V - Sub-Investigator
Treatment for Central Involved Diabetic Macular Edema in Eyes with Very Good Visual Acuity
VIBRANT – Sub-Investigator
Protocol: VGFT e-RVO -1027
A Double-Masked, Randomized, Active-Controlled Study of the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Intravitreal Administration of VEGF Trap-Eye (Intravitreal Aflibercept Injection (IAI) in Patients with Macular Edema Secondary to Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion
Protocol No. 32-007:
A Phase III, Multinational, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Masked Study Assessing the Safety and Efficacy of Intravitreal Injections of DE-109 (three doses) for the Treatment of Active, Non-Infectious Uveitis of the Posterior Segment of the Eye.
VISTA – Sub-Investigator
A Double-Masked, Randomized, Active-Controlled Phase 3 Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Intravitreal Administration of VEGF Trap-Eye in Patients with Diabetic Macular Edema. PAREXEL #201601
BB-IND 8633-Protocol FVF4967g:
A Multi-Center Randomized Study Evaluating Dosing Regimens for Treatment with Intravitreal Ranibizumab Injections in Subjects with Macular Edema Following Retinal Vein Occlusion.
VIEW 1 EXTENSION - Sub-Investigator
Open-label, long-term, safety and tolerability extension study of intravitreal VEGF Trap-Eye in neovascular age-related macular degeneration
NAION - Principal Investigator
Prospective case crossover study to assess whether PDE5 inhibitor exposure in men with erectile dysfunction increases the risk for the development of non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION).
COPERNICUS - Sub-Investigator
Randomized, double-masked, controlled phase III study of the efficacy, safety and tolerability of repeated administration of VEGF Trap-Eye in subjects with macular edema secondary to central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO).
HARBOR - Principle Investigator
Phase III, double-masked, multi-center, randomized, active treatment, controlled study of the efficacy and safety of 0.5 mg and 2.0 mg Ranibizumab; administered monthly or on an as-needed basis (PRN) in patients with subfoveal neovascular
age-related macular degeneration.
RISE - Principal Investigator
One-year multi-center study with monthly visits comparing Lucentis to sham procedure for patients with central retinal vein occlusion.
DAVINCI - Sub-investigator
A double-masked, randomized, controlled study of the safety, tolerability and biological effect of repeated intravitreal administration of VEGF Trap-Eye in patients with diabetic macular edema (DME).
HORIZON - Principal Investigator
An open-label, multicenter extension study to evaluate the safety and tolerability of ranibizumab in subjects with choroidal neovascularization (CNV) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD) or macular edema secondary to retinal vein occlusion (RVO) who have completed a Genentech-sponsored ranizumab study.
VIEW1 - Sub-Investigator
Two-year multi-center study with monthly visits comparing VEGF-Trap against Lucentis for patients with newly-diagnosed age-related macular degeneration.
SIRIUS - Sub-Investigator
Two-year multi-center study comparing Sirna against Lucentis for age-related macular degeneration
NOTAL VISION HMP-V4 - Sub-Investigator
Sensitivity of the Home Macular Perimeter (HMP) in detection of choroidal neovascularization (CNV) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (ARMD).
One-year multi-center study to evaluate the safety and tolerability of Lucentis in newly-diagnosed and previously-treated subjects with age-related macular degeneration.
Visudyne Photodynamic Therapy - Sub-Investigator
Clinical Investigator for Visudyne Photodynamic Therapy study.
Flibanserin - Sub-Investigator
University of Pennsylvania and Boehringer Ingelheim (BI Trial No. 1997-1998)
Eight-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase II study of various doses of flibanserin and paroxetine in patients with Major Depressive Disorder. Our role was to perform ophthalmic examinations to evaluate for potential ocular complications and side effects.
Pioglitazone - Sub-Investigator
Takeda America, Inc.
A double-blind placebo-controlled, randomized, dose-titration study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of pioglitazone, an oral hypoglycemic agent. Our role was to perform retinal examinations and evaluate retinal photographs for evidence of
Adefovir Dipivoxil (bis-POM PMEA) - Sub-Investigator
A placebo-controlled study of the safety and efficacy of adefovir dipivoxil (bis-POM PMEA) in prolonged survival of HIV-infected individuals with a CD4+ cell count of ≤ 100/mm3. Our role was for ophthalmic evaluation with emphasis on the presence or absence of CMV retinitis.
Silicone Oil - Principal Investigator
Richard James Corporation
Principal Investigator. Clinical investigation as to the utility and safety of silicone oil injection in the vitreous cavity
for patients with complicated retinal detachment. Our role was to provide patient care including vitreoretinal surgery.
Perfluorocarbon Liquid - Principal Investigator
Retinal and Ophthalmic Consultants, P.C.
Clinical investigation as to the utility and safety of intra-operative use of perfluorocarbon liquid into the vitreous cavity during surgical reattachment of the retina.
Sulfur hexafluoride and Perfluoropropane - Sub-Investigator
Retinal and Ophthalmic Consultants, P.C.
Clinical investigation as to the utility and safety of long-acting gases in the repair of retinal detachments.
National Institutes of Health
Early Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy Study (ETDRS)
Dr. Scott Foxman was investigator in landmark national collaborative randomized trial of laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy.
- Ballantine, E., Foxman, S., Gorden, P., Roth, J.: Rarity of Diabetic Retinopathy in Patients with Acromegaly. Arch. Intern. Med. 1981; 141:1625-1627.
- Foxman, S., Cameron, J.D.: The Clinical Implications of Bilateral Microphthalmos with Cyst: Report of a Fatal Case. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1984;97:632-638.
- Foxman, S., Heckenlively, J., Bateman, J., Wirtschafter, J.: A Classifications of Congenital and Early Onset Retinitis Pigmentosa. Arch. Ophthalmol. 1985;103:1502-1506.
- Foxman, S., Heckenlively, J., Sinclair, S.: Pigmented Paravenous Retinochoroidal Atrophy and Rubeola Retinopathy. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1985;99:605-606.
- Fishman, M., Kerman, B., Foxman, S.: Intraocular Cysticercus: Migratory. Ossonig, K. (ed): Proceedings of the 10th SIDUO Congress, Netherlands, W. Junk, 1986.
- Heckenlively, J., Foxman, S., Parelhoff, E.: Retinal Dystrophy and Macular Coloboma. Doc Ophthal. 1988:68:257-271. Shields, J., Perez, N., Shields, C., Foxman, S., Foxman, B.: Simultaneous Choroidal and Brain Metastasis as Initial Manifestations of Lung Cancer. Ophthalmic Surgery and Lasers. 2002:35:323-325.
- Shields, J., Perez, N., Shields, C., Foxman, S., Foxman, B.: Simultaneous Choroidal and Brain Metastasis as Initial Manifestations of Lung Cancer. Ophthalmic Surgery and Lasers. 2002:35:323-325.
- Foxman, S.: Finding the right fit: Considerations on both sides of the employment process. Retina Times. 2006: 24: 25-27.
- Foxman, S.: Office Administrator: The guide of your practice’s success. Retina Times. 2006: 24: 47-51.
- Ferencz L, Lang J, Yeshurn I, Pollack A, Siegel R, Lifshitz T, Karp J et al. Toward earlier detection of choroidal neovascularization secondary to age-related macular degeneration. Retina. 2010 March.
- Brown DM, Campochiaro PA, Singh RP, Li Z, Gray S, Saroj N, Rundle AC, Rubio RG, Murahashi WY; CRUISE Investigators. Ranibizimab for macular edema following central retinal vein occlusion: six month primary end point results of phase III study. Ophthalmology. 2010 June; 117(6):1124-1133.e1.
Click here for additional information regarding research studies and publications by Dr. Foxman.